What Does a Family Law Attorney Do?
You likely have heard the term “family law,” but you may well wonder what it means and what a family law attorney can do for you. As its name implies, family law encompasses the areas of law that deal with families and family matters. Consequently, family law attorneys usually have a wide range of knowledge and experience that allows them to competently represent you regardless of the precise family law issue you face.
Divorce probably represents the most well-known area of family law. What you may not realize, however, is that divorce itself entails a myriad of associated issues, such as the following:
- Contested and uncontested divorces
- Legal separations
- Child custody and visitation
- Child and spousal support
- Division of marital property
Additional Family Law Matters
Divorce, however, is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to family law. You can receive legal advice Fort Worth TX from a family law attorney regarding any of the following:
- Drafting a prenuptial or postnuptial agreement
- Establishing paternity of your child(ren)
- Adopting a child
- Defending against child abuse and/or neglect charges
- Filing for an order of protection after suffering domestic abuse
- Defending against domestic abuse charges
- Supporting and advocating for your child if (s)he faces juvenile delinquency issues
- Mediating your divorce or other family law issue
- Getting your child back if the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services has removed him or her from your home
Advice and Counsel
Perhaps one of the most important things a family law attorney does is to provide you with empathetic, compassionate advice and counsel when you need it the most. Divorce and many other family law situations can quickly take an emotional toll on you as you face an uncertain future. It’s therefore good to know that you have someone in your corner who is not only protecting your rights but also understanding what you’re going through.